Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Boston number details!

Ooof. Take over a full week off due to sickness and concern about it lingering on forever and ever if I didn't rest and you come up with some pretty dismal March mileage so far . . . Let's talk about silly happy things. Like how I have my number and wave/corral assignment for Boston!

I am number 15438. Wave 2, corral 7.

Numbers are assigned by speed, so I have something like the 15,438 fastest qualifying time. I think. The elite runners all get their names on their bibs and I'm guessing they don't start the bibs with number 1 and I'm not sure where they start numbering at.

For the 2009 Boston, my qualifying time was two minutes slower and my number was 14800 - wave 2 corral 1 (pretty cool to start at the front of the race). So the race has definitely gotten speedier. From last year to this year, the website told me that the cut-off between Wave 1 and Wave 2 is 37 seconds faster and the cut-off between 2 and 3 is 23 seconds faster. My original goal for running Boston again was to get into Wave 1, but I since decided that probably wasn't going to happen and started to worry about being in Wave 3 so Wave 2 is just fine.

Less than 4 weeks away now! Have I mentioned how it's really strange to be excited but not have it be my big focus for the year? Basically since I started running in 6th grade and heard about this Boston Marathon thing, it was a goal to someday make it there. I was worried that I was maybe over-hyping it in my head but that ended up not being the case at all. Despite it being a horrible race for me, it was still an amazing experience and I left determined to go back and show the race what's-what. So, I'm heading back, now. I'm in good shape, for sure, though I'm not sure what kind of speedy-road-marathon-shape I'm in since I haven't really been focused on super marathon training. Guess I'll find out, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment