Sunday, March 7, 2010

From NR: A more happy knee

What a beautiful weekend! We were pushing 50 degrees both days, I think. Yesterday I did a nice long walk and then a two hour nap . . . I think I might be fighting off some crud. I feel fine but I've been tired and sleeping a lot the last few days and there's some bad stuff going around work. It could also have to do with finally getting a membership to the Fitness Center at St Marys (I was waiting for March to start so I could start at the beginning of the month) and jumping back into a normal level of moving. I've rediscovered the weight room - bench press for the first time in 5 years!

Wednesday brought an hour in the pool (10 laps warm up, 5 times 4 laps hard, with 4 laps in between, 14 laps cool-down), an hour and a half trail walk with my dad and puppies and a try at running at the lakewalk. I also changed my own oil for the first time, with my dad showing me how! When I first started my run, my knee had a couple of sharp pains and I almost stopped right there and turned around. I decided to give it just a little bit longer, though, and things seemed to be fine. I ended up doing 40 minutes, total. Next day - no pain!

So the plan was to try again this weekend, presuming no major pain between Wednesday and today. So after work this afternoon, out I went! What a beautiful day! I ran in a t-shirt! I did make sure to wear pants and bring a long sleeve, though, just in case walking home became necessary. I am very happy to report a completely pain free 4 mile run at a decent pace. Here's hoping this trend continues.

In marginally related news, I had a crazy dream last night! I did a short course triathlon (I think it was supposed to be Brewhouse, but had nothing in common with it) as my first triathlon and did awesome so I decided to give the long course a try the next day (they were on different days). Well, the long course had nothing to do with the short. It started with a short run from the start to a kitchen. There we had to compete to make the fastest and best combinations of pizza from slices that were already mostly made. They were to be judged later. Next came the swim. Only it was a loop course on a river (yeah, the river made a loop apparently). It was dark out and just around the end of winter. It wasn't a great river, it flowed fast, was polluted and had rusty junk stuck in it that you had to watch out for. I originally thought we were to bike on top of the river and just as I was realizing that it was weird dream logic and biking on the surface of a river wouldn't work, it turned into a swim course.

So we went onto the river boat where we had our gear bags set and we had to change for the swim. Well, it was cold water so I didn't know what to wear and was looking around at other people. Many seemed to be wearing what looked like skin suits for skiing as a base layer with various things on top. So I settled for my Icebreaker base pants and my yellow Boston long sleeve with a hoodie over the top. I very specifically grabbed those pieces of clothing, which was interesting - I had this big bag and I was digging through it, trying to find what I wanted but it was dark out and hard to see. Then I found out we had to run a bit to get to where we went into the river, so we needed something on our feet as well. I ended up with these weird Vibram/flippers. I distinctly remember having three or four separate flippers on each foot. So we ran around a town for a bit (I remember I was right behind a woman I work with and it was daytime, now) before hitting the water. It was super crazy water, with fast currents and whirlpools and I caught up with these two other girls and we made ourselves a mini team to help each other along. It ended with us taking a quick rest at one of their houses (which was right OVER the river) to change clothes and they didn't want to go on but decided that I needed to since it was my first one and I was trying to convince them that if I could do it then they should come with too, when I woke up.

And I wonder why I slept poorly last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment